Ben joins the BeSeen team!
Last week BeSeen welcomed the youngest member of our team – Ben, a student from Bucks UTC, a great new client we have recently started working with!
Bucks UTC offers a new style of education to 13-19-year-olds who want to specialise/pursue a career in construction or IT. Bucks UTC is very different to traditional schools as it operates like a business – school hours are 9am – 5pm but with no homework; they have values and missions statements that students adhere to – like a business.
Most importantly they offer work experience to their students by working with partner businesses to prepare them for the workplace once they leave school. BeSeen has agreed to be a sponsor business for Bucks UTC and we will be providing work experience for Ben over the next year.
Ben is in his last year at Bucks UTC and is on the IT track. Ben has a desire to learn more about the technical/programming side of IT. Whilst working with us Ben will be heavily involved in managing and developing the Bucks UTC website. Back at Bucks UTC, he will be leading a team of people to help with the management and maintenance of their site. Ben will also get involved in other areas of the business as part of his work experience.
To welcome/initiate him into the team, we gave Ben a questionnaire about the college, his aspirations and his food and animal preferences…
- Why did you decide to go to Bucks UTC?
It looked really interesting and offered a good chance at becoming work-ready.
- Is the college what you expected so far and are you pleased you made the decision to join?
Yes, I am very pleased with my decision. I thought that they would have a strict approach about the way things are run due to being more work based.
- How did you find out about the college?
I found out about it in the local paper and decided to have a more in-depth look.
- Is it different to your previous school/college and in what ways?
Yes, very different. For instance, you get more freedom in your work and the help that is provided is excellent.
- What are you learning at college – are you excited about any upcoming projects?
This year we have been given the option to choose our own units which is a really good idea. I chose video productions, web design and media.
- Do you know what you’d like to do after college? – uni, work, if so what course/job would you want to do?
I would like to get an apprenticeship in either web design or video production.
- If you weren’t going to work in IT, what industry would you like to be in?
I have a big interest in construction because I studied it for 3 years during Secondary School.
- Do you have any interests outside of work and college? What do you do in your free time?
I like to think that I am a good pool and snooker player. I play nearly every day and have a tournament once a week with people from my village and other surrounding villages. I like my music and really enjoy sitting on the floor listening to it.
About your placement at BeSeen…
- What do you know about BeSeen so far?
That they do a lot of work but at the same time have a good laugh so you don’t get overloaded! Some of the work that I have seen has been really impressive and the methods of them doing it works really well. Also, they are really strange people.. 🙂 [thank you, Ben!]
- What are you most looking forward to about your time here?
Definitely, the experience that they will be able to offer me.
- What do you hope to get out of your placement at BeSeen?
A good understanding of how the web works in certain categories and the overall experience of how a business works.
- Are they any areas in particular you are hoping to get involved with?
Web development and running of a small team.
- Who would be your ideal client to work for?
An American TV company called CW.
The important questions…
- If BeSeen had an office pet, what would be your pet of choice?
100% it would have to be a parrot.
- At BeSeen we love food, what is your favourite meal?
Chicken breast wrapped in bacon with a bacon and cheese sauce.
- Can you cook and when are making it for us?
I can cook.
Best get the ingredients then. 😀
- Are you an Apple or an Android fan?
Would have to say Android.
- How many cups of tea and coffee can you carry at once?
Never really tried but I reckon 4.
- What is your favourite song at the moment?
The Script- Superheroes
- And finally… what is your favourite breed of goat?
Pygmy Goat. 😀
BeSeen are looking forward to working with Ben, using his skills and knowledge and maybe even teaching him a trick or two (hopefully, we won’t scare him away too soon…)!